The Pros and Cons of Social Media Essay
2626 Words11 Pages
My favorite part of growing up was playing night games with the neighborhood kids and awaiting my father’s vociferous shout to get inside for dinner. Older generations know even more about the familiar experience of playing outside with their peers until the sun set. It would seem as though the fluorescent youth could not be stopped from staying out late. However, in light of new technological advances in social media, a new “hang out” spot has become increasingly popular right from the security of one’s computer room. Instead of being yelled at for dirtying their acid-washed jeans outside, today’s youth are yelled at right from the kitchen for spending too many hours hanging out with their “friends” on social networking sites like…show more content…
Developmental research shows that society’s fleeting face-to-face interactions are partly due to social networking sites. Recent research indicates that sites like Facebook are creating a less socially active world with more “friends” and less genuine friendships (Subrahmanyam). As Henry David Thoreau said, “The language of friendship is not words, but meanings.” Children lose the value of conversations with virtual networking and online chatter that today remains to be a poor substitute for face-to-face communication. Let adults and senior citizens be the quintessential example of how to properly build social skills and maintain lasting relationships. If today’s youth spent more time outside and getting to know their neighbors, and less time online with peers, there would be a more friendly and active community all together.
It is easy to see that the impersonal nature of social networks has caused controversy over privacy issues and whether it is safe or not for teenagers to convey messages on the web. Older generations were not able to communicate so instantaneously, but did not suffer developing in a world where idolizing your peers online and avoiding embarrassing images was a constant threat. The whole structure of communication between adolescents is being altered, which does not bode well for future generations as the number of young users skyrockets every year. David
This article covers pros and cons of social media. You will find the following topics in this essay:
- Pros of Social Media for students, business & society.
- Cons of Socia Media for students, teens & society
Pros And Cons Of Social Media
Pros And Cons Of Social media
Never before humans were connected to each other as in today’s world. The popularity that social media (mainly Facebook) has gained over the last decade has inspired several researchers to adopt this platform as a topic of their research. According to various research works conducted on Social Media, it is astounding to know that the youth spend at least 20 minutes scrolling down the content on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram – the most famous Social media platforms. Considering the active presence of the millennial on Social Media and the scale at which it has an impact on them, companies, today, are compelled to change their traditional marketing and communication strategies.
According to Shea Bennett, Head of Digital at Identity, the millennial tend to spend 1 minute out of every 10 minutes they browse the internet for, on Facebook and Instagram. Such is the influence of Social Media on the youth today that it has almost become a part of their irresistible diet. It was only after the ‘birth’ of social media that the term ‘viral’ came into being. It has changed the world in many ways that anyone could barely predict until about a century ago. While there are several advantages of Social Media both in terms of connectivity and fame it can bring to you, there are few disadvantages of it, too.
Apart from various attractive features included in social media, it empowers youth, or any class of generation for that matter, to create social groups and pages to attract like-minded people, thereby forming a network whereby people can share similar interests and interact with one another. Surprisingly, few students – who were randomly picked as samples from different universities – revealed that social media has changed their lives in many ways, and even went on to say that it has been instrumental to their both personal and professional growth and also helped them be more empathetic.
While Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter are the most popular media platforms for socializing and connecting with the world, they have both positive and negative impacts on the chiliad of today.
Must Read:Effect Of Social Media On Individuals & Society
Pros of Social Media [Advantages]
- Plenty of learning and educational opportunities beyond the confinement of the classroom
- Social Media helps create social communities and groups for learning, developing and collaborating on innovative ideas and products
- It is a platform to interact and discuss essential chapters and topics for students and teachers alike – from the comfort of the user.
- It offers to learn beyond books and assignments and connects with students and professors from other colleges/Universities.
- Brand awareness enhances business visibility, thereby leveraging brand image and recognition. Also, it helps to reach out to those who may perhaps be impossible to reach out to through other sources of media
- Many brands are showing up their presence on Facebook and Instagram as they boost the search engine rankings and bring a higher volume of traffic to their site.
- No matter whether you are a brand or consumer, creating a profile on social media is free, and promotions of brands through these are cost-effective and time-saving.
- To be an example of ‘Thought Leadership’, there is a lot more that goes into the process; the company needs to create insightful and attractive marketing content.
- Social Media offers excellent connectivity experience to people irrespective of location, gender, or religion
- For instance, when you come across public issues such as garbage dumped in your neighborhood, power supply absenteeism or have any complaints about civic amenities, you can get help by communicating your concern with communities and municipal corporation.
- Gone are the days when we used to wake up early morning to read newspapers. With Social Media, stay up-to-date-and-live with the latest developments in and around the globe
- It has become a superior medium of communication for NGOs to promote their brand, publicize the welfare activities taken up by them and to reach out to the affluent people for donations and helping the needy
Cons Of Social Media [Disadvantages]
For Students and Teenagers
- Although Social media has more advantages than otherwise, it reduces physical interaction among teenagers and makes them shy, lackadaisical and less interactive when they encounter family and friends face-to-face
- Being active on Social Media all the time may distract teens and students from focusing on studies and completing assignments
- Despite having a volume of emojis (expression of feelings) available on keypads of your Smartphone and Tab, it’s difficult to express real feelings though machine. Hence, it made teens emotionally weak and disconnected due to lack of social engagement.
- Social Media creates a barrier to face-to-face social communication among teens and students; and, as you always doubt if the expressions of the opposite person are authentic, the quality of communication on social media is harrowing simply because you cannot sense their emotions.
- Irrespective of whether it is weekday or week off, content marketing on social media needs daily monitoring to ensure the sentiments of the consumer are not hurt
- Though cost-effective and time-saving, it carries the risk of bullying and harassment from unhappy customers and negative forces
- Negative feedback and negative word-of-mouth communication could create a bad image about the brand in the eyes of the potential customers
- Misleading content on Social Media can compel the consumer to sue the label in court
- While the users online are active, businesses need additional human resources to track their behavior, respond to their queries and ensure timeless engagement with them.
Here are few more essays, which will be of your interest:
This essay can be used as the basis for writing your Social Media Essay: Pros and Cons of Social Media & Advantages- Disadvantages of Social Media.
Spread the love. Share on Facebook, Twitter & Google+