Resumes & Interviews >> Browse Articles >> Cover Letter Help
5 Cover Letters That Worked
The Success Story
The following candidate was looking for a Quality Assurance job in the video game industry. Thanks to his cover letter, he got himself an interview (and the job!).
Notice how he uses the second paragraph to elaborate on his passion for the video game industry, and then offers a couple of brief anecdotes to illustrate that passion. He doesn’t just repeat his resume word-for-word — in fact, he even states that he’s about to share some new information.
He also injects a bit of lighthearted humor into the letter towards the end, giving the employer an idea of how he might fit in with the organization. You don’t want to overdo it with humor, but showing a bit of personality here and there can help set you apart from the crowd.
Dear Hiring Manager,
I saw your job posting for a video game QA position and it caught my interest. My goal is to pursue a career in video game design and my research shows that a QA position is the logical entry-level position.
The enclosed resume details my background but what you won’t see on that resume are my strong analytical skills and passion for video games.
I see the world through a design lens: when traveling in Japan, I met a number of Japanese businessmen. We could not converse due to the language barrier but instead, communicated through a series of video games. Throughout my days, I come across things and can see them as the root of a video game. A recent trip to an older post office had me visualizing a zombie attack. (I actually forgot to mail my letter.) I even create games in my spare time.
I would love the chance to discuss this opportunity with you. tops my list of target employers as it is known as the organization for design and the ability to market the games.
I will plan to call you on November 3rd to follow up. In the interim, my contact information is listed below.
The Mistake →
Quality Assurance Specialist Cover Letter
Quality Assurance Specialists serve as the checkpoint for products following their manufacturing and production, ensuring they are free of defects and are ready for market introduction. Essential job responsibilities for a Quality Assurance Specialist are inspecting products for defects, testing products for optimal performance, maintaining databases, and communicating with production and manufacturing teams.
Cover letters for Quality Assurance Specialists often mention the following attributes:
- Product inspection and modification
- Cost reduction and avoidance
- Compliance with client/industry/safety requirements
- Keen attention to detail
- Process and procedure improvement
- Cross-functional team collaboration
Below is a sample cover letter for a Quality Assurance Specialist demonstrating comparable skills and experience:
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Quality Assurance Specialist Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Wheeler:
Upon review of your posting for a new Quality Assurance Specialist, I hastened to submit my resume for your consideration. With 12+ years of experience in product quality control within the home goods industry, as well as my commitment to strong team collaboration, I feel confident in my ability to significantly benefit your company in this capacity.
From inspecting products for defects and maintaining detailed customer documentation to tracking missing components and facilitating their procurement, my background has prepared me to excel in this role. With a solid foundation in general quality assurance functions, as well as my polished communication and organization skills, I am well positioned to thrive in this role.
Highlights of my background include the following:
- Demonstrated experience in quality assurance for Novation Home Design, checking products for defects, maintaining and updating a complex database, and ensuring the introduction of flawless products into the marketplace.
- Developed and implemented new manufacturing and production practices and procedures to maximize efficiency and productivity while balancing multiple competing tasks within a time-sensitive, fast-paced environment.
- Slashed production costs by $13.8 million by establishing automated test practices for product revisions and upgrades, leading to a significant reduction in product recalls.
- Earned distinction by being selected to train and mentor new hires out of 25-member team of my peers at Novation.
- Continually utilize organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills to propel production operations to peak results.
With my accomplished experience in quality assurance and control, coupled with my professionalism and my dedication to achieving success, I am certain to quickly exceed your expectations for this role. I look forward to discussing the position in further detail.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Angelo S. Ryan